Friday, September 20, 2024

Greece - Day 8 (Tues. 9/3/24)

This is the day I'd most been looking forward to since I saw the itinerary months ago, and sure enough, it proved to be my favorite day of the trip. We took a 5-hour boat cruise around Zakynthos Island, stopped twice to swim in the Ionian Sea (part of the Mediterranean). 

Our boat
We spent at least an hour sitting right there on the boat in the stifling heat, because we were very early.  Better early than late, right? Didn't want to miss the boat.

Finally took off and got a little breeze going

The boat stopped out at sea and we could jump off and swim wherever we wanted, including up to the rocky shore of the island to explore caves.

Blue Caves


One of my friends took this picture. I was already in the water. I was the first one off the boat, because I couldn't wait to get in that water! I like beaches too, but jumping off the boat and swimming in the wild is extra special. The water was so clear and beautiful, and a perfectly refreshing temperature. I could feel sea creatures bumping up against me underwater.
Shipwreck Beach (a cigarette smuggling ship that wrecked there in 1980)
The water is turquoise because of the limestone dissolving into it. 

Back to the hotel for a couple hours. We were supposed to be getting ready for our big night out (we were going to a Greek restaurant with live music and dancing), but someone sent a message to our group chat asking if anyone wanted to play a card game in the lobby. So I took the world's fastest shower and got myself down there. I rarely miss an opportunity to game!
These guys all happened to show up in blue shirts when it was time to go to the restaurant.

The restaurant

There I am pretending like I'm not going to end up out there dancing on a table...

 



No comments: