Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Truancy Officer

I took the kids to McDonalds for lunch today, which is a rare treat. Noah got a McDonalds coupon from the dentist yesterday (for patiently enduring his xrays), and since this is the first day of school for everyone else, I thought it would be a good day to use it. There was one woman in the playland with her little granddaughter. As soon as we entered, the standard inquisition began.

Granny: "Are these your children?"
Me: "Yes, they are."
Granny: "They're cute."
(I never know what to say to that, so I just said thanks and tried to move on, but the inquisition continued.)
Granny: "How old is that one?" (pointing to Noah)
Me: "Noah, tell her how old you are."
Noah: "Seven."
Granny: "Why isn't he in school?"
Me: "He's always in school. He's homeschooled."
Granny clearly doesn't like that, and she shoots me a look that says, "Well then, why aren't you at home?"
Me: "Sometimes we have school at McDonalds."
Granny looks down her nose at me, and I resist the urge to tell her that today in school we're learning how to handle nosy strangers.

1 comment:

Marion in Egypt said...

I love it!

We remember and we've met most of her cousins!