Friday, October 9, 2009

Girl Day




My parents took Noah on an early birthday trip today, so Sarah and I are having a girl day. We painted each other's fingernails, read books, painted on the art easel, and went to a tea room for lunch.

I loathe tea. I have tried to develop a taste for it, just to make my life easier, but I haven't been able to do it. I can will myself to drink it in social situations, but I don't enjoy it. Sarah doesn't like it either, but she loves the idea of it. I think it makes her feel grown-up and fancy.

So there we were at the tea room, perusing the variety of fancy teas. I chose raspberry tea, thinking raspberry anything is bound to be good (as it turns out, tea can even ruin a good raspberry). I helped Sarah choose vanilla chai, because I thought it might taste more like hot chocolate than tea (wrong again).

The place was lovely, peaceful, and warm on this chilly rainy day. Sarah loved the pretty tablecloth (which she spilled on), frilly cloth napkins, and dainty tea cups. I loaded my tea with flavored creamers and several packets of sugar to make it tolerable. I even let Sarah put some sugar in hers, but she still didn't drink much.

She ordered a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I had spinach manicotti, which was very good. Sarah informed the server that she was homeschooled but that her mommy really doesn't teach her anything.

Writing this entry has inspired me to write a poem, in the tradition of "Green Eggs and Ham".

Tea is not for me.
I do not like it in a bag.
I do not like it; it makes me gag.
I do not like it made with leaves.
I do not like it; it's one of my peeves.
I do not like it in a cup.
I do not like it when I sup.
I do not like it sweet.
I do not like it with heat.
I do not like it with ice.
I do not like it with rice.
I do not like its steamy swirl,
but I will drink it for my girl.




1 comment:

Marion in Egypt said...

Love the poem!

And hot cocoa tastes great in teacups....