Monday, November 16, 2009

Hacking and rummaging up lunch

The kids thought they would do something nice for me and make lunch all by themselves. My job was to stay out of the kitchen and let them work. I asked them what they were going to make, and Sarah said, "We can't tell you; it's a surprise." I was listening nearby, and heard their conversation:

Sarah: What are we making?
Noah: I don't know. I thought you had a plan!
Sarah: Well you're the one who wanted to make lunch.
Noah: You're the one who told Mom it was a surprise, so what is it?
Sarah: What is what?
Noah: What is the surprise?
Sarah: Lunch!
Noah: What are we making?
Sarah: I don't know!

It was starting to sound a little like a "Who's on First?" routine, but then finally Noah announced, "Ok, you rummage the pantry for something to eat. I'll hack up an apple."

When they called me for lunch, on the table was a bag of chex mix, an apple (very hacked up), a bag of carrots, and three pieces of string cheese.

1 comment:

Patches of the past ~ Pearls of promise. said...

VERY cute! I liked their exuberance in the initial plan (sounds like some of the jams I get myself into).
But really, mom, all's well that ends well ... looks to me to be a totally balanced meal; grain, fruit, veg, and protein.
Yummo!