Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tornado

It was a long, wild day yesterday.  Noah took advantage of unusually warm, muggy air in the morning and rode his ripstick to church with his friend.
Less than two hours later, we had a tornado warning.  We were in the middle of the most awesome church service, where you could tangibly feel the Holy Spirit moving.  The preacher had just decided that he wasn't going to preach the sermon he had prepared but just let the Holy Spirit work, when the lights went out.  I looked out the window and saw a wall of dark clouds.  We kept praying.  There were tornadoes all around us, but all we had were high winds and some rain. 

When we got home from church, we had no electricity, which messed up my plan to heat up leftovers for lunch.  As usual, I got confused about what works and what doesn't when the power goes out.  I turned on a light switch and was momentarily surprised when no light came on.  I knew the stove and microwave wouldn't work, so I thought I would heat up the food on the toaster. Duh.  I even had to stop and think about whether the automatic doors on our van would work.  Double duh. Mike took a nap, and I read a book, and the kids floundered around trying to figure out what to do.  So it was a great afternoon to go to our friends' house for their daughter's birthday party.  They had power, food, and fun, including marshmallow guns!
  
From there, we went to the airport to pick up my parents, whose flight had been delayed several times, and was delayed again while we were waiting.  The power went out at the airport, so it was dark for a few seconds before the generators kicked on. The kids were very bored at the airport.  We hadn't brought anything to do, thinking we would just pick up the passengers and leave. 

 After about an hour, they arrived, but their luggage didn't.  After a little more waiting, someone found their luggage, and we took them home. 

The next day, I was praying for the tornado victims when suddenly I heard harp music.  I thought for a second that the angels were joining my prayer, but when I opened my eyes, there was Sarah, plucking my harp.  She always has trouble keeping her body still, but during prayer time, it's even worse. 

This has nothing to do with anything.  I just liked the picture of Noah doing his school work with Shadow in the sun. 

No comments: