Friday, December 6, 2013

Two year olds

Yesterday I worked in the two-year-olds class at CBS.  It's been a few years since I've had a two-year-old, and I'm starting to forget how fun and adorable they are (besides the snotty noses and stinky diapers, which I don't miss).  I was in charge of a group of six of them, and we were playing with play dough.  The only color we had was a beautiful, bright blue, so I was making sharks, dolphins, birds, etc. while my charges were mostly just squishing their dough around and getting it in their hair and all over the floor.

Suddenly, one kid's eyes got big and she gasped, pointed behind me, and whispered, "Uh-oh."  I whipped around, saw nothing unusual, and asked, "What?"  She continued to stare, horrified, and said, "They mad!"  I turned again and realized she must be looking at the small poster behind me, part of which depicted a scene with two kids grabbing for the same balloon. They both had angry-looking faces.  I said, "Yes, they do look mad.  It looks like they both want that balloon.  What should they do?"  Another little boy smiled and yelled, "Peace!  Peace!" 

After talking about various ways to work out the balloon dilemma, we moved on to reviewing the Bible story of the day, which was about the angel visiting Mary to tell her that she was going to have a baby.  I asked them who visited Mary, and a few of them said, "A angel!"  I said, "Yes, it was an angel.  And what did the angel tell Mary?"  Blank stares.  "The angel told her she was going to have...what?" I prompted.  Nothing.  I picked up my play dough creations.  "Was she going to have a dolphin?"  They all shook their heads.  "Was Mary going to have a...bird?"  No. They all knew that wasn't quite right, but nobody could remember what she WAS going to have.  I whipped up a play dough baby, swaddled in a little dough blanket.  I held it up and said, "Mary was going to have a....?" and the little "peace! peace!" boy yelled, "A blue baby!"  They all agreed that yes, Mary was having a bright blue baby.  Which is probably what they will tell their parents when they ask them what they learned at CBS. 

No comments: