Wednesday, August 18, 2021

What's my gift?

My parents made me take piano lessons when I was a kid, which I pretty much hated, but now am very grateful.  I am not a gifted pianist, but I very much enjoy playing and get great satisfaction from it.  After my parents let me quit taking lessons, I didn't play the piano at all for several years.  But in college, I lived close to the music hall with its practice rooms, and I found myself playing the pianos in there for fun and relaxation.  When I moved into my first house, the piano went with me, and every time I've moved since then, it has moved with me.  As I got busy with life and kids, my piano playing went mostly dormant for many years, but this year, the music director at our church (who has also become a close friend) showed me how to play without the chore of having to read notes, but just by reading chords. It was like being freed from prison.  Now I play freely whenever I have time, and it is pure fun.  If I hear a song on the radio that I like, I can look up the chord charts and play it myself.  

With this newfound ability to play, I want to sing too, which I do when I'm home alone, but I don't have the kind of voice that people want to hear.  I told my worship director friend Doug that I want to be able to play and sing like Andrea (a worship leader at church who plays effortlessly and has the most beautiful voice) and that I asked God for it and He said no.  And Doug said if I had phrased it differently, maybe He would have said yes. I asked him to rephrase it for me, and he said, "I’ve come to realize that if God wanted me to sing and play like Bruno Mars … he would have made me Bruno Mars … so now I pray like this: Jesus would you increase the anointing on my musical gifts that you have given me so that I can put your glory on display by 

1. Better technique 

2. More creative ways to interact with the musicians around me 

3. And better understanding on the songs 

And to make my voice better in intonation, pitch and tone so that people will want to listen to the lyrics you would like them to hear. Amen."

That left me speechless and pondering for a long time.  What really is my motivation?  Doug's motivation  is clearly to glorify God.  I think mine might be more selfish, and maybe that's why my answer was no. Singing is not my gift.  But maybe it can just be something that I enjoy doing alone with God. Like speaking in tongues.

What then is my gift?  A prophetic man from church just recently prophesied over me that he saw me with golden pen in my hand and that there are things I either do write down or need to be writing down. He said God wants to speak through me through writing. He said God wants to give me heavenly revelations to write down and share. This guy doesn't know that I have a degree in English and have always loved to write. So the question is, how do I use that gift for God's purposes?  I'm on the lookout for ways to do that. Singing in front of people terrifies me, but writing doesn't.

No comments: