Saturday, April 25, 2009

Growing Up

Noah has had Barney, his security item, for 7 years. It was my nightgown when he was a baby, and he used to rub it against his face while I wearing it. I gave it to him and got myself a new nightgown.

Barney has seen Noah through a lot of trials: teething, sickness, haircuts, fears, first sleepover, pets dying, friends moving away, becoming a big brother, scraped knees, and many others. He's practically a member of the family.

Three days ago, Barney went missing. Noah didn't miss him until bedtime. We all went on a hunt but didn't find him. I promised we'd do a thorough search the next day. Noah didn't mention him again until the next night. We searched everywhere, but we didn't unearth Barney. More promises for the next day. Tonight, Mike was up to his elbows in chair cushions, when Noah came along and asked him what he was doing. Mike told him that he was looking for Barney, and Noah said, "It's ok, Dad. I gotta grow up sometime anyway."

2 comments:

Jenjo11 said...

How sweet! I would have been so proud, through my tears. 8-)

Janestown said...

It was bittersweet. I realized that I was the one who needed him to still need Barney. It's a weird feeling.