Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Scholastic bowl

Noah got an Ironman arc reactor from a Christmas party, and we've been using it as a scholastic bowl buzzer.  I ask questions, and whoever hits the buzzer first gets a chance to answer.  One of my questions this morning was, "Can you turn the letters of the word "may" into something that means "sweet potato"?"  Both kids gave me a blank stare.  Then Sarah asked for a pen and paper.  She wrote for a long time, occasionally looking up to think and then crossing something out and writing again.  Finally, after a long time, she hit the buzzer and yelled, "Amy!"

I managed not to roll my eyes, but calmly told her that Amy is not another word for sweet potato.  I looked at Noah, who had been doing mental calculations the whole time.  Nothing.  I hinted, "It starts with a Y."  Suddenly, he hit the buzzer and yelled, "Yak!"

They really are very smart, but sometimes I wonder...



1 comment:

Dave said...

You're kids are great! Addy would not have said yam, and Liza would have yelled, Ewwww, I hate sweet potatos, then ran off.