Sunday, January 30, 2011

Muskrat Love

It's late at night.  I'm the only customer at Kroger.  I'm strolling along, putting food in my cart, and listening to "Muskrat Love" on the muzac.  After awhile I realize I'm singing along (very quietly, of course, because even though I'm the only customer, an employee could come around the corner at any time).  I start wondering how I know the words to "Muskrat Love".  I guess everyone who grew up in the seventies just automatically knows.  Then I listen to the lyrics and think, "What IS this song about?"  Is it really about mating muskrats, or is there some deeper meaning I'm not getting?  Why was it so popular?  Then it gets to part where the muskrats are squeaking, and I think this is the stupidest song I've ever heard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh!
And made me remember a time while visiting friends when our kids were young. They were in the other room listening to records (that tells you how long ago that was!) and we heard "grind his bones to make my bread...". WHAT? Then I realized it was Jack in the beanstalk. For the first time I really "heard" the words. Shocking!