Tuesday, March 12, 2013

sick ramblings

So miserably sick with the flu, but I had to go out to pick up a prescription, so I bought a papaya while I was out so I could make this drink.  I've never bought a papaya before and don't know what I'm doing.  The sign said 99 cents, and I thought that was pretty good.  I was miserable and sick and not in the mood to spend any time picking out the best fruit. So I just grabbed the biggest one I saw and took it to the checkout.  When it rang up $4.50, my razor-sharp flu brain realized it must be 99 cents PER POUND, not per fruit.  Too miserable to go back and pick a smaller one, I bought it.

As you may know, my kittens love cantaloupe and think they have to have some every morning.  They were very interested in my papaya, swarming around my legs, standing up on their hind feet, sniffing the air, and meowing at me as I cut it open.   I gave them a little taste, but I don't want them to get too excited, because I'm not buying them papaya on a regular basis.  The cantaloupe is bad enough.

So I made the drink, and it was good.  There's a lot of papaya sitting on the counter looking at me, but guess what?  Too sick to do anything about it. Just covered it with plastic and shuffled away. 

Why do the pharmacy workers have to stand way up there on their lofty pedestal and look down at you?  I got there right when they opened, and I was the only customer.  I was standing there at the pickup window where the workers can't even see me, even if they were trying, which they weren't.  They were talking about how cute one of the workers' puppy is.  Normally, I could be a little patient and appreciate a cute puppy.  But I'm not normal today. I'm miserable, and I don't care about your stupid puppy.  After a couple minutes, I jangled my keys. Nothing.  I got my insurance card out and scraped it on the counter. The worker glanced over, then went back to laughing about how the puppy chewed on its bone for half an hour. I'm supposed to be a good Christian, but I admit I was fantasizing about whacking that woman with a huge dog bone.  Finally, in her own sweet time, she moseyed over, still giggling and jolly, and gave me my drugs.

There is really no point to this post.  I'm going back to bed.

No comments: