Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Lunch conversations

Noah's baseball game got rained out last night and rescheduled for tonight.  I had already told a friend that I would come to her party tonight.  So during lunch, I was agonizing over what to do.  I'm not in favor of going off to do selfish things instead of supporting my kids, but in this case, the only reason I said I would go to the party was that there was nothing on the calendar for this night. 

M: Is it more important to keep my commitment to Debbi or to support you?
N: Go to the party, Mom. I have lots of games this year.  Besides I'm in a slump, so you won't miss anything.
M: When you go up to bat, tell yourself, "I'm going to get a hit. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
N: If I do that, the ump will back away and say, "Watch out for this kid, people!  He's crazy!"

Meanwhile, I notice Sarah staring at my salad.
M: Are you jealous of my salad?
S: Of course not. I don't like salad.
M: Why are you staring at it?
S: Because it's the only thing in this boring room with any color!  Why do you have chips on your salad?
M: Because it's a taco salad.
S: That's just wrong. Crunchy things don't go with cold things. That's the rule.
M: Whose rule?
S: Sarah's rule.
M: It's called textural contrast.  It's a good thing.
S: That would be like having a crunchy biscuit with ice cream, according your rule.
M: I don't have a rule!

No comments: