Tuesday, January 12, 2016

First day back

Today is our first day back to school after vacation. We're reading The Phantom Tollbooth, which is a clever little book.  While we were reading about the cities of Digitopolis and Dictionopolis, the kids thought we should make alphanumeric cookies.  They know I'm a sucker for including food in school.  The kitchen is a great classroom. The recipe provided the first good lesson. I had Sarah read it and figure out what was wrong with it and propose possible solutions.
It didn't take her long to spot it.  "Well how much flour are we supposed to put in?  Hmm...I guess we could just add flour 1/4 cup at a time until it looks like the right texture." We consulted other sugar cookie recipes to compare and figured it would probably need about 2 cups of flour. I made them do math while the dough chilled.
Sarah put the cookie cutters in alphabetical order.

 Noah cut a few too, but I didn't get a picture of him. He was mostly stuck on math, of which he apparently forgot a lot during break.
Sarah frosted them and brought me a plate. 

No comments: