Thursday, January 28, 2016

End of year interviews

Since we were in Florida at the end of the year, I forgot to do my end of year interviews with the kids.  For some reason, I remembered today and conducted them. 

NOAH (whose whole attitude is, “Let's get this over with”)

What is your favorite memory so far?
The time in Chicago when we took a walk by the fountains.
Why do you like that one so much?
I liked finding the secret passageway back to the hotel.

What is something you couldn't do before but now you can?
I can touch that basement rafter.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
A physical therapist?

Do you think it's possible to change the world?
No.
Why not?
Too many people, too many different opinions for one person to do.

If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go?
Probably on a cruise to Alaska, or somewhere like that, because I don't like hot weather.

What is your favorite book?
Last Shot by John Feinstein

If you had a pet dragon, what would you name it?
Noah: What color is it?
Me: Orange.
Noah: Big or little?
Me: Big.
Noah: Something to do with fire maybe, because it's orange. I don't really know what I'd name a dragon. I might call him Halitosis, because he has fire breath.

Describe yourself in one word.
Awesome.

If you lived in space, what would you miss on Earth?
Probably real food, because they eat freeze dried stuff.

If you were a teacher and could teach your students anything, what would you teach them?
[After much deliberation] Probably how to build stuff and fix stuff.

What was the best part of 2015?
The cruise was the best part, obviously.
[I offered him the opportunity to speak freely at the end of my list of questions. He declined.]
___________________________________________________________________________________

SARAH (whose whole attitude is, “Oh my gosh I'm on camera! I love being the center of attention!)
What is your favorite memory so far?
My first gymnastics meet.

What is something you couldn't do before but now you can?
My round off back handspring, and my aerialA bunch of gymnastics moves, basically.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
I have a list of things: a baker, a hairstylist, a home designer (like a decorator), an artist, an actor, a movie writer, oh my goodness the list goes on and on.

Do you think it's possible to change the world?
Yes!
How?
Like when I grow up, I want to become the first female grand master. IF gymnastics doesn't take over my life. Which it probably will.

If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go?
I know this really isn't an option, but I would go inside a TV for vacation. Lots of things you can do inside a TV.

What is your favorite book?
I like a bunch. Harry Potter, Clementine, The Benedict Society, Phantom Tollbooth, all the Middle Schools, I Funny, and just recently, Good Call. Oh, and all the Ramonas! I forgot about those. I like a lot of books.
Do you like Beverly Clearly or James Patterson better?
Ooooh, that's a hard one. I like James Patterson better, because it's very versatile for a bunch of kids and it has perspectives from girls' and boys' view from junior high.

If you had a pet dragon, what would you name it?
[without hesitation] Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback. Yes! Yes.

Describe yourself in one word.
Supercrazyfreakyextremeawesome.

If you lived in space, what would you miss on Earth?
My house and everything in it. Not my house, the contents of it. And probably gymnastics too.
[At this point we had a side discussion about the possibilities of gymnastics in space.]

If you were a teacher and could teach your students anything, what would you teach them?
What not to do during life. How to have a good life. A good life class. Everything I missed during my life and what I would revise if I had to redo my life as a child.

What was the best part of 2015?
That's a hard one. Probably the cruise. I'd probably say the cruise. Or my birthday.

[At this point, my battery died, but I offered her the opportunity to speak freely, and she did, for quite some time. One gem of hers that I wrote down was, “Live life to the fullest because you only get to live life once.”]



No comments: