Friday, April 22, 2016

Assault with a deadly banana

Yesterday I was making oatmeal for breakfast. The house was all quiet, as the kids hadn't gotten up yet.  I wanted a banana for my oatmeal but didn't have any fresh ones.  Just as I located one in the back of the freezer, I heard the front screen door open and some random scratching around noises. I sneaked across the kitchen with the only weapon I had in my hand: a frozen banana.  I quietly tested it by bonking myself on the head with it.  Yes, I think I could injure an intruder with this.  I peeked around the corner and saw...a bottle of peach lemonade.  And my friend pulling out of the driveway.  I lowered the banana.

The night before had been bananagrams night.  Once a month I play bananagrams with three good friends, affectionately known as the bananagirls.  One of them had brought peach lemonade for everyone.  I had to leave early (and in a rush), so I inadvertently left mine at this friend's house.  After I realized that she was just delivering it to my porch, we exchanged a few texts about how ironic it would have been if I had assaulted one of my bananagirls with, of all things, a frozen banana.  I told the kids the story and read them the texts when they got up, and we all laughed about it.

This morning, Sarah and I are home alone, sitting at the desk doing math.  All is quiet.  We hear a bang in the garage, and Sarah whispers, "Mom!  Grab the frozen banana!"


No comments: