Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Meatloaf dip

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be this "Turkey-Free Holiday Loaf", a "feast for the whole family", proclaimed the magazine.

I was planning to serve it with roasted carrots, mashed potatoes/cauliflower, and rolls.  But then English took longer than I expected, and biology still needed to be taught, and Sarah had to be picked up after play practice.  So I left carrots and the loaf in the oven while I went to get her, and nothing else was done.  The carrots were a huge hit, devoured in less than five minutes.  But I could tell as I attempted to cut the "meatloaf" that it was going to be a terrible fail. Mike and Sarah had no interest in it, even before I realized it was a fail, but there was Noah, sitting at the table, eagerly awaiting his meal.  I've never served meatloaf in a bowl before, but that's what this one warranted. 
I set it before him and mumbled, "Sorry. I don't know what happened..."  He asked for a spoon, stirred it around, got some corn chips and ate it like a dip.  Then the wonderful kid said, "Thanks for the...uh....meatloaf, Mom.  It was really good!" and went back for more!   He's a gem. 

No comments: