Monday, February 26, 2018

Noahisms

Noah and I were eating lunch, and I offered him a clementine.  I said, "Clementine, my darling?"  He took it and looked at me funny, and that's when I realized that he's way too young to know the song.  I said, "There's a song called 'My Darling Clementine'.  It's really old.  You probably don't know it." He said he didn't, and then I remembered that he does know a version of it, so I said, "You probably know it as 'Found a Peanut'." He said, "Oh yeah, I know 'Found a Peanut'!  You mean that's not an original song?  My whole life is a lie."

After lunch, we went for a long walk, and to distract us from the monotony (and since it was fresh on our minds), we sang "Found a Peanut" with all the verses I could remember.  That got us down the street, but there was still a long way to go, so we played a game that I used to play with the kids when they were learning the alphabet and working on focus and memorization.  We also played it whenever we were waiting in line, since there were no cell phones or other electronic time-killers back then.  I call the game "Going on vacation", and it involves 26 characters going on a vacation, each bringing an alphabetically appropriate item in addition to the previous characters' items.  So today it went like this:
Amy is going on vacation, and she is bringing an apple.
Bob is going on vacation and he is bringing an apple and a banana.
Carrie is going on vacation, and she is bringing an apple, a banana, and a cantaloupe.
Etc.
By the time we got to Zoe, she was bringing an apple, a banana, a cantaloupe, a donut, an eggplant, a frankfurter, some goldfish, a hamburger, ice cream, jelly, a kiwi, a lime, a mango, nutritional yeast (because who goes on vacation without that?), an orange, popcorn, a quince, a radish, a sandwich, tofu, unseasoned ramen, vanilla, a watermelon, Xanax, yams, and some zinc.
Noah said, "I bet Amy felt pretty under-prepared bringing her one little apple when she saw all that Zoe brought."




No comments: