Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Indiana Dunes--day 2

 Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Sad start to the day, because they found the body of the missing guy this morning.  The family found out while we were at breakfast with them (not with them, but just at the same hotel breakfast).  I talked to his mom and prayed for her.  She was pretty stoic at the time, but later she was just wailing.  There was much discussion about what to do with the body, and who would tell his girlfriend.  It was all just horrible.

We made it to the Trail 9 trailhead in the state park and hiked the whole thing (almost 4 miles).  It was amazing!  Forest, wetlands, dunes, and the shore of Lake Michigan (the very same place where the body washed up this morning, which I tried unsuccessfully not to think about). Perfect hiking conditions: cloudy, 60 degrees, not too hot, not too cold, not too many bugs, and not too crowded (we saw only one other person the whole time).

This fanny pack is one of my best friends.  It holds 2 bottles of water, my camera, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses, and maps.  I so appreciate it.  Mike hauled the backpack with snacks, jackets, toilet paper, etc. 


Sarah at the top of a dune.
Mike and Noah charging down the dune towards the shore of the lake, which was covered in fog.

Mike and Noah at the bottom of the dune. Sarah and I were at the top.
 



The forest part of the trail.


When we got back to the hotel, the boys got ready to go golfing.


Mike and I drove to the beach for a sunset date, but it was pretty cold and cloudy, so we didn't stay long. 
 
When we got back to the hotel, Sarah and I went swimming, and the boys watched baseball on TV. The highlight of Mike's day was when Sarah told him, "You're the butthole of humanity."  He said, "I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

No comments: