Tuesday, October 15, 2019

No hiking today, just being still.

Today was my annual "sit under a tree and watch squirrels" afternoon.  It wasn't long enough, because I had to pick up Sarah from school, but still so enjoyable.
 This was my favorite tree.  It had beautiful feathery leaves, interesting-looking green balls, and bark that looked like it had been scratched by bears' claws.  The whole thing smelled like pine, which made me think of Colorado, so I hovered under it a long time.
There were no squirrels around it though, so I moved my little camp to a clump of oak trees where the squirrels were scurrying and burying.  I set out some nuts for them on my blanket, but nobody was brave enough to come to my blanket, so I tossed some nuts to them.  I didn't actually read that book while I was there (although it is a great book, and I highly recommend it), nor did I really intend to.  I just keep a book nearby so I can pretend to read and look normal if people come around.  People tend to call the cops if they see someone lying under a tree, tossing nuts to squirrels, and watching leaves fall, which is really what I like to do.  But sitting under a tree and reading a book is socially acceptable behavior.
I was hungry, and those nuts started looking good to me, so I ate a few.  The squirrels still had plenty. 
 I made a nice pillow out of pine needles. 
This cute little squirrel looks like he's modestly covering his nipples. I love squirrels.  I could watch them all day, busy at their tasks. 

No comments: