Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Health "Care"

Having had a lousy run-in with the healthcare system today, I'm thankful that I'm not seriously ill. All I have is a hideous mole to be removed and tested for skin cancer.

I made an appointment with Dr. Soderstrom's office. I arranged our whole day around this appointment and dropped my kids off with their grandparents. When I arrived at the office, I had to wait 20 minutes just for the privilege to start filling out the mounds of paperwork (which were supposed to be mailed to me in advance, I found out later). After another 15 minutes of filling out forms, the receptionist informed me that my insurance doesn't cover the provider I was scheduled to see and I would have to reschedule for another day with a different provider. She wasn't sorry or even pleasant about it. I said I wasn't going to reschedule, and I left.

I came home and called Central Illinois Dermatology to make an appointment. I asked them to verify that my insurance was acceptable to them. It wasn't. They accept my insurance but not through my husband's employer. ??????

So I called the last available dermatologist in the area. Good news! He takes my insurance and likes the place of employment. BUT...he requires a doctor's referral before I can make an appointment. So I have to pay a doctor to tell me that I need to see the other doctor, even though I already know I do!

Mike's boss is kind enough to refer me to her doctor, so I call to make an appointment. Good news! My insurance is acceptable, and I don't need a referral for the referral. BUT...she's not taking new patients. I threw around Mike's boss's name to no avail. Apparently this is one case where it's not "who you know".
I asked what number would I be on the list. The receptionist said, "Oh, I have no idea. The list is pages and pages long." I said, "I have no chance of ever seeing this doctor, do I?" and she said, "Probably not." I felt like I was in a bad Seinfeld episode.

I told Mike that if I die of skin cancer, he should sue someone.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

How frustrating!

Is there a reconstructive(plastic?) surgeon on your list? Maybe you can go that route.

Consider today's cancellation a blessing in disguise... I'll tell you later....

Too bad you can't go to Central IL Dermatology... they are reasonably nice and that is where D has always gone; he started with Dr. Stone who is retiring. We chose to go with Dr. Kroodsma, new there, who comes highly recommended. We had a hassle at first with our insurance too @ 3-4 yrs ago for J & M, but eventually D's employer added CID to our list. It's not cheap even with ins... but way LESS than the place you escaped from. S