Tuesday, March 8, 2011

MacGyver

I never watched "MacGyver", but I have used one of his tricks twice.  The first time was a great success.  I was at work, and it was my job to help people who had trouble with the ATM.  One lady's cash came flying out so fast that a $20 bill got stuck between the ATM and the wall.  That situation wasn't covered in my training, so I had to improvise.  I was poking a yardstick in the crack with no success.  I needed something that would stick to the bill.  I happened to have gum in my mouth and had the inspiration to stick it on the end of the yardstick.  Not very professional, but it worked.  The lady was so happy to have her $20 that she didn't care that my gum had been sticking to it.  One of my coworkers informed me that MacGyver had used that trick to defuse a bomb or something.

So today when a pencil got stuck in the bowels of the piano, the MacGyver in me knew just what to do.  I said, "Kids, get me some gum and a yardstick."  Unfortunately, the results were less than successful this time.  Maybe the gum wasn't sticky enough, or maybe gravity was working against me.  Not only was the pencil still stuck, but now my gum was stuck in there too. 
Noah took the front off the piano and started digging around with a paintbrush.
Then there was a pencil, gum, and paintbrush stuck inside the piano.  Noah worked from the top, and I worked from the bottom, and we finally got all the obstructions out, and the piano plays great!

No comments: