Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Garbage disposals and answering machines, oh my!

My grandma was here for dinner tonight, and she was watching me peel an orange for her.  As I threw the peel into the sink, she said, "Oh honey, you should throw that in the garbage.  It will clog up your sink."  I told her that we have a garbage disposal now that would grind it up, and I demonstrated.  She looked frightened and said, "Oh my!  Your sink is plugged up good."  I opened the cabinet under the sink and showed her the disposal and explained how it works (as much as I know, which isn't too much), but she was clearly not convinced.  She said, "You shouldn't use that thing unless Mike is right here watching." 

I remember when she called me at college and got my answering machine.  It was the first answering machine I ever had, and like all of the ancient ones back then, it recorded on a tape.  Grandma didn't know what it was.  All she knew was that she heard my voice saying hello, but then I didn't talk to her after that.  When I got home and pressed the button to play the message, she was already in mid-sentence.  "...and I was just getting ready to do my dishes and thought I'd call you.  How are your classes going?....Janel?  Can you hear me?  I heard a beeping noise on my phone....maybe there's something wrong with it...hello?  I know you're there; I heard you say something when you first answered...hello?"  She took up the whole tape, and by the end of her message she sounded pretty annoyed. 

I wonder what new-fangled contraption my grandchildren will be explaining to me in a few years.

No comments: