Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A good education?

We were in the middle of math when the garage door guy arrived.  I told the kids they could either finish their math or go out and watch the guy work.  This is what they chose:
Since they were sitting still anyway, they ate their breakfast while watching the show.  
Jay, the garage door man, provided quite an education that required lots of discussion for the rest of the day.  For some reason, he started talking about how he used to be a repo man, and how he made great money and only worked midnight to 6:00 a.m.  Noah asked me what a repo man was and why he worked in the middle of the night.  I explained.  Then he asked how the guy was able to get into all those cars.  I told him to ask him.  He did.  Jay said, "Oh I had all kinds of slim jims and other tools to break into cars.  I even had this really neat tool that would make a key in 25 seconds."  He went on to explain how that worked, but I didn't quite follow it. 

Noah was completely entranced, as Jay proceeded to talk about how it's a great job if you don't mind leaving pregnant women crying in the middle of the street.  He told about taking a BMW from a real estate mogul who lived in a million dollar mansion and finding $100,000 in cash in the back seat.  He said he almost retired to Mexico but decided against it.  In the middle of this heartwarming tale, we had to leave for an appointment.  I was very reluctant to leave Jay with the run of the house, so I locked the door leading from the garage into the house.  Sarah asked me why I locked that door, and I told her I was just being cautious.  She said, "Don't you trust Mr. Jay?"  I told her I didn't even know Mr. Jay, and although he's probably a fine person, it's better to be safe than sorry. 

Noah was very quiet during the drive, but his forehead was wrinkled up like it does when he's thinking.  Finally, he announced, "I want to be a repo man when I grow up."  I told him I didn't think that would be the best career for him, and he said, "'Well, somebody has to do it!"

They did eventually get back to their math books, but in the meantime I hope they learned something valuable about real life. 

3 comments:

Mike said...

The picture and the "Well, somebody has to do it." made me laugh out loud. :)

Jamie Schroderus said...

You locked your door against a man that used to break into cars and make keys in 25 seconds for a living...thinking he would have been more perplexed and possibly stumped by an unlocked door. LOL I think he showed integrity by at least acknowledging that crying lady was pregnant and that he opted not to retire to Mexico on the $100k...nevermind that he was probably holding out for more. LOL You guys crack me up.

Janes Family said...

I just wanted to make it a fun challenge for him. :)