Tuesday, May 17, 2016

overnight oatmeal

My current favorite breakfast is overnight oatmeal.  Quick and easy to assemble the night before, portable if I need it to be, healthy, and tasty.  Sometimes I do cinnamon-blueberry, but the one below is one I just invented last night.  
The ingredients: 1 T. peanut butter powder (This stuff is a wonder!  Credit to my mom for introducing me to it.), dash of agave nectar, 1/2 cup oats (We volunteer at a food bank once a month, and the last time we worked there our job was to sort a semi load of damaged goods.  If the cans were dented but the food was intact, it was ok.  The seal was open on this container of oatmeal, so I asked the boss about it and he said to throw it away because a mouse could have contaminated it.  I asked him if I could take it take home instead.  I've been using it all week, and so far...no mouse turds.), dash of salt, 1T. chocolate flavored protein powder, dash of vanilla, 1/2 C. vanilla flavored unsweetened almond milk.

This would probably look cute layered in a jar, but I'm not into cute so I just dumped it all into an empty sour cream container.  I notice now that the lid doesn't even match. I've never claimed to be Martha Stewart.
 
After sitting in the refrigerator all night and a quick stir the next morning, my breakfast is ready.  If you close your eyes and use your imagination, you can almost pretend it's cookie dough.  Well, not really, but it IS very good, considering the lack of butter, sugar, egg, etc.
 

No comments: