Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Bird feeders and curious kids

Yesterday I used a post hole digger for the time.  Whoever invented that thing is a genius!  I wouldn't want to dig a hole without one. While I was engaged in this activity, my neighbor boy appeared at the fence, and we had a typical conversation.

Cole: Hi!
Me: Hi, Cole.
C: How do you know my name?
M: Because I'm your neighbor. I've known you since you were born.
C: I'm five.
M: I know.
C: Whatcha doin'?
M: Digging a hole.
C: [logically enough] Why?
M: Because I'm going to put this post in it and put a bird feeder on top of the post.
C: Why?
M: Because birds are awesome, and they need to be fed, and they're fascinating to watch.
C: Oh.
M: [after finally getting the hole deep enough and planting the post] Do you think I should have screwed on the bird feeder before I planted the post?
C: I don't know. Daaaaa-aaaaad!
M: No, no, that's ok.  I'll just get a ladder and screw it on. 
C: I have to go inside now.
M: Good idea.  This might not be pretty.
C: Why?

Indeed it wasn't pretty as I maneuvered the ladder various times, trying to get some even footing on the rocks and then contorted myself all kinds of ways to get the drill at the right angle.  But I got it done and by the time I put everything away and came back inside, there was already a bird perched on the feeder, which was very gratifying.
 I had to make some repairs on this old bird feeder, and Marty inspected my work.
 This toad hopped over to see what I was doing.



No comments: