Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Just when you think you've heard them all....

In the 16 years that I've been homeschooling, I've fielded all kinds of questions from skeptical strangers, but today I heard a new one.  "I don't know how you can homeschool.  What do you do about P.E.?"  She seemed truly aghast at the thought, and I almost laughed.  P.E.? Really?  Of all the things I've stayed up at night worrying about, P.E. has never been one of them.  That comes so naturally I don't have to give it a thought.  We hike trails, walk around the neighborhood, play basketball in the driveway, rollerskate in the basement, lift weights, run (well, Noah does; I don't), rake leaves, sweep the garage, shovel snow, do workout videos, weed the garden, etc etc...
Then she asked, "Do you meet the state requirements?"  She was very concerned.  I assured her, "Yes, we do." 

Next on her mind was...
Woman: What if they ever have to go to public school for whatever reason? Would they be able handle it?
Me: My daughter started public school in 8th grade, and now she's a freshman at the public high school.  She's handling it just fine.
Woman: Is she behind all the other kids?
Me: No, she sits in the front row.  (I even gave her a wink to let her know I was making a little joke.)
Woman: I mean...academically?
Me: She gets A's and B's.
Woman: That's amazing that she was able to figure it out so quickly!
Me: Well, she did learn things at home...
Woman: But wasn't she overwhelmed being in a class with so many other kids?
Me: No.  She is very social and loves being around lots of people. 
Woman: Well, my cousin's wife's brother-in-law's daughter's husband's ex-fiancee homeschools their kids, and they are always home. They wouldn't know what to do if they had to go to a class with a bunch of other kids.

Thankfully our time together was up at that point, and we drifted away before I could learn the fate of every remote homeschooling situation she knows. 

No comments: