Thursday, March 31, 2022

These old rings

My poor wedding/engagement rings have been through a lot in the last 26 years. In the first few days of marriage, my new husband and I were playing football in the front yard, and my rings flew off when I threw a pass. We crawled around and pawed at the grass until we found them. 

About six years in, I was power-walking on a treadmill and banged my rings so hard on the rail that the diamond was knocked out of its setting. I searched for days, took the treadmill apart, turned off the lights and searched by flashlight, vacuumed the whole room and sifted through the vacuum bag, but I never found it. I was very sad, because I couldn't find another one like it.  We replaced it with a slightly bigger diamond, but I mourned the original. Here's the only picture I have of the original one:

About 15 years in, my wedding ring and engagement ring got divorced, for no apparent reason.


I had them re-soldered, and they remained happily married until they ran off together today.

I was at work, in the office preparing for my shift, and the District Manager appeared for a surprise visit to make sure everyone's following all the rules (one of which is: no jewelry).  I have butted heads with various bosses over the last year (I've had a ridiculous number of bosses come and go before the company finally hired a great one) regarding the "no jewelry" rule.  I don't wear earring, necklaces, bracelets, or gaudy rings.  The only thing I wear is my wedding ring, which I don't consider jewelry, but a covenant.  My current fantastic boss never says a thing about it.  I show up on time, do a good job, and he overlooks little things. 

But the DM does not, so as soon as he popped in, I slipped my covenant off and did a fancy little sleight of hand to distract him while I pocketed it in an insecure side pocket of my pants.  By the time I got home, it was gone. I called the office and my aforementioned fantastic boss scoured the whole place for it but didn't find it. 

I haven't totally given up on finding it, but I've lost enough hope to start making an alternate plan.  My great-grandma wanted me to have her wedding band, so she gave it to me decades ago.  I thought this would be a good time to get it sized to fit me.  


Update the next day:  My awesome boss just called me and said, "Guess what I'm holding in my hand?"  Apparently the custodial staff found it late last night when they were sweeping! Praise the Lord!

No comments: