Friday, March 25, 2022

This Old Piano

I wish this piano could talk. I'd love to hear the stories she could tell.  My dad's mom bought her when my dad was young, so he thinks she's at least 80 years old.  She was nice and new at the time.  Since then, she's been moved several times and abused in all kinds of ways.  Her keys are chipped,

her sound board is cracked,

she's out of tune and can't be tuned because of the cracked sound board, her front panel is broken from where Noah crashed his remote control monster truck into her years ago. 

 I had two estimates from professionals on what it would take to restore her. They both said I have two options: play her until she dies, or put thousands of dollars into her to fix her.  She's really not worth anything monetarily, because nobody wants old upright pianos anymore, but she is precious to me.  

My dad and my brother and I all learned to play on this piano.  I have spent countless hours playing her, by compulsion when I was a kid and from pure delight as an adult.  I have played lots of pianos, including good quality grand pianos, but this one has always been my favorite.  I've never played one that feels as good as mine.  The sound is wonderful (except that it's out of tune).  My fingers feel at home on her keys, while they feel like guests on any other keys.  

Today, I invited a few friends over to worship.  I was supposed to play the piano for this little party, and the devil didn't want that to happen, so half an hour before they were to arrive, my G# key broke off.  

I scrambled to get it glued back on and put a brick on it to stick it down and hopefully get dried in time.

Sure enough, it was perfectly fine, and I thought I won the battle, but no.  The devil had another trick up his sleeve.  The F# key, which is absolutely crucial to most of the songs I play, was stuck from being under the brick next to the broken key. I have to manually lift it up each time I want to play it, and then after I play it, it's stuck down again. 

 My poor piano is dying a slow, painful death, and I'm in mourning.


No comments: