Friday, March 25, 2022

Update on this old piano!

 I whined to my awesome husband about my stuck piano key, and he got right on it.  He methodically investigated every possibility, gradually taking off more parts of the piano until he figured it out and fixed it.  He was like an FAA crash investigator, and it was fun to watch.  We both learned a lot about the amazing inner workings of the piano.  What a simple, yet intricate instrument!  I have a whole new appreciation for it and for him. 




For those interested in the cause of the crash....the whole thing was my fault.  I picked up my big heavy water bottle while I was standing over the piano, and the handle of the bottle broke off in my hand.  The bottle dropped directly onto the G# key, broke it off, and sent it flying by my head and across the room , while water soaked down into the keys. I let an expletive fly and grabbed a towel and did my best to sop up the water I could see, but it was good that Mike took out that section of keys, because the wood underneath was still wet and would have gotten moldy.  So water had gotten into the tiny felt strips in the hole of the F# key, and the brick mashed the soggy felt into a lump that caused the key to stick.

No comments: