Thursday, June 16, 2011

Heaven

When I got to the nursing home tonight, a group of singers/musicians was performing.  My grandma was sitting by herself, looking tiny and lonely.  I pulled up a chair next to her, and she brightened up and said, "Where'd you come from?"  The band started playing "Tennessee Waltz", and my grandma started singing along.  I asked her if she knew that one, and she said, "I used to."  An old man was there visiting his wife, and he said it was their 67th anniversary.  He was petting her hair the whole time.  The lead singer sang something about suppertime, and at the end, he said, "I know a lot of you are probably thinking about suppertime at home and wishing you could be there, but when we all get to heaven, the Lord will open the gates and say, 'Come on in; it's suppertime!' and we'll all have supper together."  Then he sang one of my favorite hymns: "When We All Get to Heaven".  I sang along, and no one noticed or cared that I can't sing.  It's quite an experience, singing about heaven while surrounded by a lot of people who may soon be there.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Janel,
My grandma used to sing the song "suppertime" and it was sung at her funeral! I love that song!