Thursday, June 16, 2011

Washing dishes and missing my grandma

Whenever I wash a big load of dishes, I think about my grandma.  I grew up in the house right next to hers, so I was at her house almost as much as I was at mine.  All the big family celebrations took place at her house, and afterwards, my mom, aunt, cousin, and I would wash and dry the dishes.  It was work, of course, but it was fun.  The convenience of dishwashers has ruined the fellowship of doing dishes together (but I'm not giving up my dishwasher). 

When I grew up and moved into my own house, I got into the habit of calling my grandma whenever I had a big load of dishes to wash. She would often be washing hers at the same time, and we would talk while we washed, which took our minds off the menial task and made the time pass more quickly. 

I was filling the sink with hot, soapy water this morning, and I almost reached for the phone to call her. But then I remembered.  She's in a nursing home and doesn't have a phone, and even if she did, she probably wouldn't know who I was and definitely wouldn't carry on a conversation.  Alzheimer's has gradually been stealing her away, and I miss her a lot. 

4 comments:

Lauren said...

That reminds me of washing dishes at my great-grandmas... I miss mine too!

Laura said...

I remember your grandma as well. Neat lady! Sad to hear she has alzheimer's. I didn't know. Not sure what to pray, but I will pray. Off to wash my dishes with my mother in law. :-) I will do it with more enthusiasm than I would have before reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a sad feeling. Sorry your dish washing partner can't help you get through the task any longer. What an awful disease Alzheimers is. Hugs to you!
Jenjo

Bonnie said...

I don't have an automatic dishwasher and don't want one just for that reason! I like having the 5 dishwashers who live here so we can fellowship while working. I, too, think of my dear grandma while playing in the suds! :-)