Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lost innocence

We were in Kroger today, and Noah picked up a box of condoms.  He said, of course, "What's this?"  So I was quietly explaining, and he got all embarrassed, dropped the box like a hot potato, and mumbled, "Oh, I thought they were canisters for my airsoft gun."

Sarah was telling us about a super-skinny girl in her gymnastics class, and Noah said, "Does she scratch a lot?"  Sarah and I both looked at him like he had just arrived from another planet, so he said, "Maybe her family runs a meth lab.  Meth makes you skinny and itchy, you know."  He's rather proud of his knowledge of all things meth, because he read about it in a book.  A fictional mystery written by a nice Christian author.  I know this, because I read it too.  Sarah said, "She doesn't itch, and she's just skinny because she's Asian.  All Asians are skinny."  I just stared at them, wondering whether it's worse to be prejudiced or to assume to worst about someone. How did we get here?  Talking about condoms and meth labs. They used to be so innocent.


No comments: