Friday, June 7, 2013

Hungry baby teenagers

I was looking out the window, watching birds, my favorite activity lately (what am I, 90 years old?!).  I saw a mother bird walking along, pecking for food.  Behind her was her teenage child, who was almost as big as his mother.  He was following right on her tail feathers, squawking obnoxiously.  When she pecked up some food, she turned and dropped it in his open beak, which shut him up for a millisecond while he swallowed it, and then he went right back to screaming for more, without so much as a "Thanks, Mom!".  She never ate anything herself, just kept feeding this overgrown baby.

I said to her (yes, I talk to them through the window), "Why don't you make that freeloader peck for his own food, or better yet, feed YOU?  You laid his egg, kept him warm, protected him, raised him.  He's practically an adult, so stop babying him already!"  And that was the moment I realized....I am that mother bird.  Hungry children follow me around all day, squawking constantly, "We're hungry, what's for lunch?, we need a snack, can you make snacks for us and our 100 friends?, how long till dinner's ready?, will you buy us some chips?, we need money for the concession stand, why is there no celery in the fridge?  can our 1000 friends stay for dinner?, we need a midnight snack, here's my breakfast order". 

No comments: