Thursday, July 25, 2013

Breaking the boredom with bunnies

I'm not a fan of exercise, but I'm trying to get in shape to hike the Grand Canyon and the mountains of Colorado, so I've been walking.  Walking is very boring.  I'm thankful that Mike goes with me, so his company takes my mind of the boredom.  Another boredom buster is counting the bunnies I see while we're walking.  The record was 14 for a long time, but one night we saw 22.  Mike is not much into the bunnies, but he tolerates my counting, and will even point out the occasional one that I miss, but he doesn't get excited about them like I do. 

Last night, all  four of us went on the nightly bunny walk, and Sarah not only pointed out the bunnies, but made up names for them and told a little about their personalities. She would say things like, "Oh, look!  There's Annabelle!  She's very friendly and likes people."  and  "There's Mr. Wilson.  He likes to hop alone and never leaves his yard." and "Ooooooh, Matilda's out tonight!  She's a real bunny of the townspeople."  I don't know what that last one means, but it was entertaining. 

There are also several cats on our route.  I know some of their names, because I've talked to their owners.  I make up names for the others (I guess that's where Sarah gets it).  I carry catnip in my pockets, so I can lure the shy ones.  Last night we saw Nip (but not her brother Tuck), Snickers, Jason, Oreo, Oscar, and Marty's Boyfriend.  It was a good night.

No comments: