Friday, September 20, 2013

Homemade tomato sauce and chili

Visited a friend in the country who has a garden, and she let me pick some cherry tomatoes.  After eating a bunch, we still had a lot left, so we made sauce.  Sarah is seasoning them with salt and pepper after I coated them with olive oil.  

Putting some basil in the blender.

Roasted them for half an hour. Sarah thinks they look gross.

Put them in the blender with the leftover carrots from last night's dinner.  I always sneak extra vegetables in my sauces, and nobody ever knows the difference.  

I think I'll use it for lasagna this weekend. 
In retrospect, I should have used those tomatoes in the chili, but I didn't know I was going to make chili until after I had already finished the sauce.  My kids have been helping make chili since they were old enough to toddle into the kitchen.  It used to take me all day with their "help", but now they are truly capable of helping, so we whipped this out in about an hour. 

No comments: