Saturday, February 1, 2014

Lessons from the stone

Well, it's been a rough week, but I learned some things, so I want to write them down so I don't forget and have to go through this again. 

One thing I learned is that I need to be more compassionate.  I tend to get frustrated with people who constantly talk about their physical ailments.  Focusing on your problems makes them worse, and talking about them all the time only gives them more power.   I still believe that, but now I know how difficult it is to rise above severe pain and focus on something else.


The rest of the things I learned were things I already knew but needed the reminder.  This ordeal reminded me of why I read, study, and love the Bible.  Two days before the attack of the kidney stone, I was sitting at CBS, discussing the purpose of suffering.  "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4, ESV).  See above about compassion.

Then we were discussing how the Holy Spirit intercedes for us, and one of my favorite people in the group said, "Have you ever been so sick that you can't even pray and all you can say is 'Jesus'? Well, it's during those times that the Holy Spirit is praying for you."  That comment came alive to me three days later, when I was having my worst moment.  It was Sunday night, and Mike had taken the kids to Winter Jam at the Civic Center.  I hadn't slept or eaten for more than 24 hours and had had absolutely no relief from pain.  I was in a cold sweat, curled up in a fetal position wedged between the floor and the bed, screaming out loud in pure agony.  The whole house was dark and empty, and I could hear the wind outside gusting so powerfully that it was making the siding creak and banging the gutter against the house repeatedly.  I had been praying all night, but at that moment, I couldn't even focus my mind to form a prayer. My Bible was open in front of me, but I couldn't see it through the blinding pain.  I just called out, "Jesus!" and in that moment, I knew that the Holy Spirit was interceding for me, and it was comforting. Romans 8:26-27:  "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

Back to that day at CBS before this happened.  One of the home study questions was, "Where is God during times of trial and hardship?"  I had written two words for my answer:  with us.  He was with me through the suffering at home, the painful ride to the hospital, the tests and needles, the side effects of the medication, until I came out on the other side.  The Bible says He will never leave you nor forsake you, and I personally experienced that to be true.  

Other things I was reminded of:  
*My husband is supportive, helpful, compassionate, strong, and altogether wonderful.  I'm thankful for him.  
*His parents are pretty great too, as they were available to help with the kids, take Sarah to gymnastics, and take them out for dinner.  
*OSF is a nice facility, and the staff there helped me so much.
*My kids are fine, capable people.  They survived all day with no parents, and they even made a really good batch of cookies for me.  
*I am blessed to have so many friends and family who support me in prayer and other ways.



 

1 comment:

Marcia said...

oh I like this post very much. I think you are helping me learn too!