Tuesday, June 12, 2018

My favorite vegan cheese

I have tried various recipes for making vegan cheese, some of them requiring a lot of ingredients, steps, and time.  This one is my favorite, because it's easy and quick to make, and it's versatile and tasty.
    1 cup raw cashews
    1/2 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)
    2 tsp lemon juice
    2 1/2 cups water
    3 T. nutritional yeast
    1 1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp pepper
I soak the cashews for as long as I have time (sometimes it's only 10 minutes; sometimes it's several hours), then whir everything up in the blender till it's completely smooth.  Pour it into a saucepan.  Cook and stir until it thickens into one big gelatinous mound of yum.  I have experimented with putting other seasoning in it as well, such as smoked paprika or Italian seasoning, or dill, or even salsa.   

I use that cheese for quesadillas mostly, although I have been known to just spread it on crackers.  I have discovered that if there are leftovers of something that Noah didn't especially like the first time around, I can put it between 2 tortillas with this cheese and make it into a quesadilla, and he loves it.  I've been getting more creative with my quesadillas lately.  Yesterday for breakfast, I made Mexican ones.  I started with the cheese, added salsa, black beans, and cumin on a tortilla.

 I spread more cheese on another tortilla, topped the first one, and cooked and flipped till it was a nice, crispy quesadilla.

Today, Noah wanted that same thing for breakfast again, but I was out of tortillas.  I did have tortilla chips, so he had the brilliant idea of just making a dip out of the cheese, salsa, beans, and cumin.  
My best source for raw cashews (after much trial and error) is the Indian grocery store on Pioneer Parkway in Peoria.

No comments: