Sunday, December 6, 2020

Sheldon and Sally

When I flippantly said, "We can give Noah our old washer and dryer and just get new ones," it seemed like an easy thing.  It's a big project that will involve at least 4 days. Day 1 was making the purchase.  Day 2 was hauling out the old and preparing for the new. Day 3 is today: delivery and installation.  Day 4 will be installing the old ones at Noah's house.  

The shiny new ones arrived at 10:00 this morning.  I was going to try to get the delivery guys to bring them into the house by using my sex appeal.  But after a look in the mirror, I realize I don't possess that, so I decided to use my "I'm just a weak, middle-aged woman and it sure would help me a lot if you big strong guys could just bring them inside" womanly wiles instead.  I also bribed them with cookies. The nice delivery guys very kindly did and didn't even take the cookies!  

That was a big help, but we still had to move them into the laundry area and install them. Fortunately, we had Marty to help with that.  I think she would like to be a Sherman's showroom cat.  She is so curious about all the new stuff and especially the packaging.  



My job was basically holding and pushing and following orders, in addition to picking up all the trash.  I loaded it all into a big bag and hauled it out while singing "Here Comes Santa Claus".
We got the washer (named Sheldon) into place and discovered that the hose connections are far side of the washer so the hoses wouldn't reach the water valves.  We had a discussion and difference of opinion about what to do about that.  Mike was right, so I relinquished my stance.  He is now at Menards buying an extension hose and a steam kit (for HALF the price of what Sherman's wanted to charge), and I am registering the products online. 

This is what our house currently looks like:




The other 2 cats have been cowering under the bed all day, terrified of all this.  Shadow finally emerged and cautiously investigated everything.
Shiloh came slinking out and made a beeline for my lap, where she quivered  for a long time.
Noah arrived to help with the installation and take home his booty.  He and Mike got into all kinds of contortions.


That's an unhappy camper right there after he dropped something vital deep down inside the bowels of the dryer mechanism.


As of 6:00 p.m., I'm still not able to do a load of laundry.  It's very complicated.  I don't need it to launch a rocket or cure cancer.  I just need it to wash my sheets.  Ironically, I might have to take my laundry to Noah's house to wash it.  Starting to think that $100 delivery/installation thing might have been worth it.

P.S.--The dryer's name is Sally. 
Update: It's a few days later, and I have since done some loads of laundry.  Sheldon makes strange sounds while he's washing.  Sometimes he makes  low wolf-like growl, sometimes he makes whale noises, a couple times he hisses like a snake, sometimes he sounds like an airplane trying (but failing) to take off. Sally is pretty quiet.  She's going to take some getting used to, but she does play a nice little song when she's finished with her cycle.  She only plays it once, quietly, and she doesn't bother you again.  It's much more pleasant than the incessant beeping of our previous dryer, but it's also very easy to forget about the laundry, which the old machine would never allow.

No comments: