Friday, December 4, 2020

Washer and dryer racket

Mike and I went washer and dryer shopping tonight.  I like our old ones, and they work perfectly, but they're 15 years old, and Noah needs a washer and dryer, so we're giving them to him and getting new ones for ourselves.  

Adam, the salesman at Shermans, showed us the features and benefits of several models, and we decided on one and went to the little chair area to make the deal.

Adam: Do you want the full delivery, or just the free shipping?
Me: What's the difference?
Adam: Full delivery includes installation and removal of the old ones.
Me: Sounds expensive.
Adam:  $99.99.
Me: What does the free one include?
Adam: They leave the new ones outside, and you have to haul them in and hook them up.  They weigh 230 pounds each.

I leave that one up to Mike, because I won't be much help in that department.  He decides that he and Noah can handle it, so we avoid the $99.99 charge.  I'm thinking we're done, but no.  Adam has more things to say.

Adam: Do you want a cord?
Me: It doesn't come with a cord?
Adam: No.  It's $24.99.
I look at Mike, who shrugs and says, "How are we gonna start it?"
So we buy the $24.99 cord.  But Adam isn't done yet.
Adam: Do you want the hoses?
Me: How much are they?
Adam: $19.99.
Me: (grouchily) Yes.
Adam: Do you want the steam kit?
Me: What? What is that?
Adam explains that our washer and dryer have some fancy steam sanitization system, but it doesn't work unless we purchase the $39.99 steam kit.  A glance at Mike tells me he doesn't really care.
Me: You mean the washer and dryer that we're paying hundreds of dollars for don't come with all the things they need to use them?
I don't recall Adam's response.  I think he mumbled something and looked away.
Me: I don't think we need the fancy steam thing.  Our ancestors washed their laundry in the creek. 

We also passed on the pedestals, which would have been another $500 (!!).  I found a pedestal that somebody put out on the curb for garbage a few years ago, so our dryer has been on that for years.  It's nice and saves some bending over, but not worth $250.  Mike said he can build a wooden platform for the washer, so it will be at the same height as the dryer.  

I used my coronavirus vaccine money to pay for them, and we left. 

Update: It is now the next day, and Mike is pulling out the old machines to make way for the new, and we discovered something we'll probably need: this thing.

Adam didn't mention that last night, so I called to ask him if it's included with the exorbitant price of the dryer.  As soon as he answered the phone, I realized I didn't know what the thing was called.  So I said, "Does our new dryer come with a...you know, one of those thingies that looks like an elephant trunk?"  He said, "You mean a dryer vent hose?"  I said, "Ok, whatever" and he said, "No, but we include one free in the installation.  Oh wait, you opted out of the installation, didn't you?"  So Mike is now at Menards buying an elephant trunk, or whatever you call it. 


No comments: