Friday, January 16, 2009

Personalities, Part 2

I asked the kids what they would take with them if they were going to a deserted island and could only take 5 things. Their responses were very revealing of their personalities. Noah took about 10 minutes to answer, and of course there were questions involved. He said, "First I would take God. Do I have to count that, since He's always with me anyway and doesn't take up any space?" I said he didn't have to count God. Then he said, "I would take food, water, Barney (his security item), a blanket, and a pillow. No, wait. I guess I don't need to take water, because there will be water all around, but it will be salt water so I'll have to boil it, so I better take some matches to start a fire. OK, so I'll take food, matches, Barney, a blanket, and a pillow. Oh, but my food would run out pretty quickly, and I guess I don't really need to bring that anyway since I can find food and cook it on my fire. Take off food and add a cooking pot instead." He was satisfied with that for awhile, but then he said, "I won't really need a blanket if I have a fire, and I could use Barney for a blanket if I had to, so I'm not taking the blanket. I'll take a fishing pole instead. Well, if I don't need a blanket, I sure don't need a pillow. I'll just make a pillow out of sand. I guess I only need to take four things. Oh no, hang on...how am I going to make fire if I don't have wood? Will there be trees on the island?" I told him there would be trees. He said, "I'm taking a cooking pot, matches, Barney, a fishing pole, and an ax." He smiled triumphantly. Sarah had been listening with amazing patience the whole time, so I thought her list would be influenced by his. But no. When I asked her what she was taking, she said, "I'm taking One Blanken and Two Blanken (security items), my Webkinz bluejay, water, and a pillow. Now let's go play!"

No comments: