Friday, December 2, 2011

Date with Sarah

I took Sarah to a dance performance tonight at ICC.  On the way there, she made up a song which I wish I could remember.  It was really good, but I was driving and couldn't write it down, and now it's gone.  The only part I remember is something about a dragon roaring, reindeer snoring, Santa ho-ho-ho-ing, and the sleigh slow-slow-slowing.  It all started because she saw a lighted display on a roof of Santa with some reindeer pulling his sleigh.  She pointed to it and said, "Look, Mom!  Chinese writing!"  I said, "That's not Chinese writing; it's reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh."  She insisted it was Chinese writing and wanted me to translate it, so finally I said, "OK, it says 'Merry Christmas' in Chinese."  She argued, "No, it doesn't.  They don't even HAVE Christmas in China, Mom."  I shut my mouth, and she made up the song.

We've been to this annual dance performance many times, and I know they usually call some children up from the audience to join in a dance, so before we left home, I suggested that she might want to change out of her mismatched pajamas and put on a pretty dress.  She said she wasn't going up on stage this time.  When we got there, the person in charge asked for volunteers to come up on stage to dance, and guess who was the first person who shot her hand up and started waving it around? 
So there she is, wearing her red penguin pajama pants and pink pajama top, hamming it up on the stage.

The next dance was a Middle Eastern belly dance. Sarah said quite loudly, "Those outfits sure aren't very modest!"
She was much more approving of the beautiful Chinese dancers' outfits.
She brought pipe cleaners to entertain herself for the two-hour late-night performance.  Here's the necklace she made.

No comments: