Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Feeding the cute little picky girl

My friends' two girls are staying with us today.  The five-year-old is notorious for saying hilarious things and being a picky eater.  Soon after they got here, Picky Girl announced her hunger.  I asked her what she would like to eat.  She said, "I don't know.  I'm pretty picky, you know."
Me: How about some Cheerios?
PG: No, I'm not a big fan of those.
M:  Rice Krispies?
PG: OK, I like those, as long as they're just plain.
I held up the box.  She approved.  I poured some in a bowl. She frowned.
PG: I only like them bundled up in squares.
I tried not to laugh, but that cracked me up big time. I offered her several other choices, but she refused.
PG: May I be excused?
M: Yes.  I'll leave your bowl of Rice Krispies on the table, in case you get hungry.
PG: [walking away, voice trailing off] I am hungry....

So I failed at breakfast.  Then lunch time arrived.  I was feeling pretty confident about it, because I had stocked up on food that I know she likes: macaroni and cheese, bananas, salami, and yogurt.  I laid out a spread on the table, and all the kids sat down.
PG: I don't like any of this.
M: What about macaroni and cheese?
PG: Nope.
PG's big sister: She doesn't like that anymore.  She used to, but not now.
M: Oh.  Well, what about salami?
PG: Nope.
M: Banana?
PG: Gross.
M: (getting desperate) Yogurt! I know you like yogurt!
PG: I only eat orange yogurt.
M: Oh. I can do that.
I put away the blueberry yogurt and get out a carton of peach.  It's the closest thing I have to orange. I put it in a bowl so she doesn't see that's it's actually peach.  Success!  She eats the whole bowl and asks for another. Thankfully I have one more container of peach.  She eats it too.  I know she spent the day with her grandparents yesterday, so I ask her what she ate over there.  She says, "Potato chips and buttered crackers."  I guess two cartons of peach yogurt is a success.

1 comment:

dave said...

Welcome to our world.