Friday, August 24, 2012

Wouldn't a good mom know what grade her kid is in?

I called to request a registration form for Noah for AWANA.  The nice woman on the phone asked me how old he is.  I knew that one.  I told her he's 10 and will be 11 in November.  Then she asked me what grade he's in, and I went blank.  I said, "Ummmm....4th? I think?  No, wait...maybe he's in 5th.  Hold on a second; I'll ask my daughter."  Sarah was standing right next to me, so I said, "What grade is Noah in?"  She informed me that he's in 5th.  The nice woman seemed confused and maybe a little horrified. 

The "what grade are you in" question always gives me pause, because I neither know nor care what grade they're in. I don't think in terms of grades.  But to the rest of the world, it seems to be be a big deal, so I try to keep track of what grade they would be in if they were in public school.  Summer is an especially confusing time, because at what point do they go from one grade to the next? 

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I love it! I have a child who says she's in 5th/6th grade. She's doing jr high art, 5th grade math, sixth grade reading,....who knows?
I agree what does it matter. This is a lifestyle of learning.