Friday, February 8, 2013

Garlic infused oil and toasted bread crumbs

If you're not into cooking, you'll probably want to skip this one.

I'm making garlic-infused oil.  Crushed garlic cloves in olive oil over low heat for about 30 minutes.  I love that smell!

Meanwhile, I tear up some bread heels and put them in the food processor.  My  mom doesn't understand why we don't just eat the heels, but we all have an aversion to them, so I save them to make bread crumbs.

Here are the heels a few seconds later. 
 
If I'm not using them right away, I bag them up and freeze them.  But today I'm using them to top a casserole.  And since I'm also making garlic infused oil, I make one of my favorite treats:  toasted garlic bread crumbs.

I remove the garlic from the oil and use it for something.  Then I turn up the heat, toss bread crumbs in the oil, and toast them for a few seconds.  Then I have to put them directly on the casserole or else I'll eat the whole batch right out of the pan. 

No comments: