Monday, May 20, 2013

Preserving memories

I have spent countless hours writing in journals ("blogging" before blogging was the hip new thing), keeping scrapbooks, taking video, and making photo albums.  After an especially memorable weekend, I've been busy updating all these things.  Sometimes I wonder if anyone will ever look at all these things I've poured so much time and effort into.  Will they rot and mold, get tossed in the trash or burned after I'm dead and gone?  I decided I'm at peace with whatever happens to them, because for me, the joy is in making them.  I love to look back through old pictures and read the stories of when my kids were babies and the things they've said and done.  I like reliving the good moments and even looking back on the bad ones to see how far we've come. 

There's a history of dementia among the women in my family, and while I don't want to curse myself, I have seen early evidence of it in myself already.  Sometimes my grandma doesn't know who I am.  She loved preserving memories too, and sometimes I'll take an old photo album that she made many years ago and go over it with her, looking at the people in the pictures, talking about the old stories.  Sometimes she comments politely in a neutral way, and I know she doesn't remember any of it.  Other times she doesn't even comment, just stares blankly.  But once in a great while, I see a spark of recognition and there's a brief moment of connection before she retreats to her lonely world again. Maybe I work so hard on preserving the memorable events of my family for myself, because I fear I'll forget.  But watching my kids leaf through their scrapbooks and photo albums, laughing and enjoying them, I realize that I do it for them too.

If you ever want to see any of my albums or even watch some old family videos, I'd love to share them with you. And I'd love to see yours too!

2 comments:

mike said...

You're a good nut and I thank you for scrapping and blogging. I enjoy them myself. I also enjoy reading them aloud and reviewing the pictures with them too. You're an excellent mom for doing it and as long as I'm alive, will make sure they are preserved safely. I know the kids love them and suspect the future grandkids will love them too!

BTW. Dementia rejected in Jesus' name. That is not his will for you. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this posting.
We had a house fire that destroyed most of what we had. We have very few past pictures and no Christmas decorations that were made with childhood love. 30 years later ... it doesn't matter so much anymore. My heart holds dear the things that matter.
Probably what you are seeing is not dementia, but merely the fragmentation of a mother's mind. All mother's think they can be all things to all people, but such is not the case.
I'm standing with Mike on this one - In Jesus name!
We used to have a pet squirrel so I also know a good nut when I see one. I agree with Mike on this one too.

~ j