Friday, May 31, 2013

Shower talk/vocabulary lessons

My mini lecture to Sarah this morning:  I'm in the shower only five minutes a day.  If you have a need that absolutely can't wait till those five minutes are over, you can speak through the shower curtain. It is not a sound-proof barrier.  There is no need to whip the shower curtain open to ask me ridiculous questions like "Can I have ice cream for breakfast?".  Also, please refrain from relaying the entire conversation that your friend had with her mom until I get out of the shower. 

Her response:  What does "refrain" mean?

Me:  I will explain all this when I get out of the shower!

So now I'm standing in the bathroom wearing a towel, having this conversation:

Me:  To refrain from something means not doing it. 
S:  Chloe's mom said "We'll have to play it by ear" about what time we can get together today. What does that mean?
M:  It means we'll wait and see how things are going. 
S:  So basically it means "maybe"?
M: Basically.
S:  But that's not really an answer!

[Interrupted by knocking at the door.  Sarah runs to see who's there.  It's her friend Katie.]

S: Mom, can I play with Katie?
M: Yes, briefly.
S (to Katie):  I can play briefly.
K: What does that mean?
S: It means for a short time.
K: How short?
S: I don't know.  Till Mom calls me.  I'm planning on playing with Chloe, but we have to wait to play it by her mom's eye. 
M: Ear. We're playing it by ear.
S: Whatever.

No comments: