Thursday, June 5, 2014

Throwback Thursday

Throwback to the days when I wasn't getting much sleep.  Noah was 4, and Sarah was 2.

November 6, 2006 Noah woke me up at 3:00 a.m. He got in my bed, snuggled up, and started talking.
N: That little bunny loved his dad right up to the moon. (a reference to Sam McBratney’s Guess How Much I Love You, which had been one of his bedtime stories many hours earlier). I love my dad up to the moon too.
Me: Your dad loves you right up to the moon and back.
N: I love you all the way to Jupiter! And I love God all the way to Pluto, even though it isn’t a planet anymore. I love Sarah to Mars.
Me: That’s nice.
N: Hey, Mom! Why isn’t Pluto a planet anymore?
Me: The scientists got together and decided it didn’t meet the new criteria for a planet.
N: What’s ‘teria?
Me: Criteria is…um (trying to wake up my sleepy brain)…it’s like a set of rules.
N: Like the Ten Commandments?
Me: Well…sort of.
N: What is it now? A star?
Me: I don’t know what they’re calling it now. We can look it up tomorrow.
N: I think they should call it a used-to-be-planet.
Me: Maybe they could call it FP for “former planet”.
N: What’s former?
Me: Used to be.
N: That’s what I just said!
Me: Okay.
N: Next summer, will we have tons of sweetgum balls in our front yard?
Me: Yes.
N: I was dreaming about a garbage truck that was driving away from a farm.
Me: Was it full?
N: Yes.
[Long pause. I’m sure he’s asleep…but no.]
N: I wonder why stickers don’t stay stuck on the kitchen wall but they stay stuck on my bedroom door?
[I was too tired to say anything, so another long pause followed. He was breathing slowly and not moving, so I determined it was safe for me to go back to sleep…but no.]
N: I feel sad for Pluto. I think they should make it planet again.
Me: It’s still up there, the same as it’s always been.
N: Why did those guys make new rules?
Me: They are always learning more about space and the things in it, so they are trying to organize all the new information in a way that makes sense.
N: That doesn’t make any sense. How can it not be a planet anymore? Is it too small?
Me: It’s very big. It just looks small to us because it’s so very far away.
N: Is it too far away?
Me: I don’t know why it’s not a planet anymore. We’ll do some research on it tomorrow. Later today actually.
N: Wouldn’t it be cool if Dad worked at a pet store? We could go visit him every day. He could be the boss and bring home a new pet for us every night.
Me: Yes, that would be cool.
N: Hey, I have an idea for an invention. A sippy cup with spouts on the top and the bottom with a big huge tank in the middle. So Sarah and me could drink together and you wouldn’t have to refill it for a long time.

His brain finally stopped spinning, and he went back to sleep a little after 5:00 a.m. Sarah was up shortly thereafter and woke us all up.

No comments: