Saturday, September 17, 2016

Butternut squash

I bought a big butternut squash at Aldi for $1.29, and today was the day I planned to deal with it.  I put it in the crockpot this morning and cooked it on low for about 5 hours till it got soft.  I won't even attempt to cut up a raw one, because it is so hard.  After the crockpot did all the work, all I had to do was scoop out the goodness.  There was a whole lot of goodness, so I did 4 things with it:

1. First and foremost, I just ate it.  Now that my tastebuds are reawakening, I can appreciate just plain squash. Then I mixed some in a bowl with applesauce and cinnamon and ate that too.
2. Veggie burgers.  
That's about a cup of squash mashed up with a can of black beans, a flax "egg" (1 T. ground flaxseeds soaked in 3 T. water until it becomes egglike in texture), 1 1/2 C. oatmeal, some spices (Italian seasoning, garlic salt, pepper, turmeric, parsley) and the last bit of leftovers from a rice/summer squash dish I made several days ago.  I also sauteed some celery, garlic, and onion, added that to the mixture, and formed patties.  I froze them individually for later eating, so I don't know yet how they'll turn out. 
3. "Cheese" sauce. 


I sauteed some onion and garlic, then added some veggie broth and boiled until the onions were soft. I poured that in the blender with some cold rice milk, butternut squash, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, turmeric, a few red pepper flakes. After blending, it was a little thin, so I put it back on the stove, whisked in some arrowroot powder, and boiled till the consistency was right.  
I put the sauce on some pasta and loaded it up with vegan "parmesan", and it was seriously fantastic.
4.  Put the rest in the fridge until I figure out what to do with it.

No comments: