Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Failure turned success

I had another vegan fail last night.  I tried to veganize a recipe I used to make with meat and cheese.  I took out the meat and cheese and added squash. 

Rice and Spice (formerly Cheesy Beef and Rice):
1 C uncooked long grain rice
1 garlic clove, minced
½ onion, chopped
3 C veggie broth
2 carrots, shredded
1 t. dried parsley flakes
½ t. dried basil
½ t. salt
Dash pepper
 In large saucepan, saute rice, garlic, and onion in olive oil until golden brown.  Stir in broth, carrots, spices.  Bring to boil, cover, simmer a few minutes. Bake, covered, at 325 for 22 minutes, check, stir, bake longer if needed. 

It was really not the same without the meat and cheese.  I forced myself to eat it.  Even Noah didn't like it.  Mike actually liked it, but I added a leftover chopped up turkey burger to his.  Sarah helped me make it, but wouldn't try it.  I was left with a big pot of it to reconfigure in some way to make it more attractive.  

Today it occurred to me to turn it into a wrap.  I spied the leftover baked sweet potato on the counter and added a little salt and a bunch of whole wheat flour to it to make a dough, which I rolled into tortillas and cooked. 

 Then I filled it with last night's leftover's, which I covered up with salsa, red pepper, green onion, and lettuce,
 rolled it up,
and offered it to my favorite vegan boy.  
He loved it and asked for another!  I ate one and liked it too.  Success!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this story...and the title. :) I am impressed with sweet potato tortilla twist. I have never done such a thing! Did you bake it in the oven or on a pan.

Janes Family said...

I cooked the tortillas in a dry skillet just a couple minutes on each side. I have made tortillas before, but never with sweet potato. I would do it again for sure!