Friday, March 22, 2019

Phoenix--day 4


Thursday, March 21, 2019
                I took the lightrail to a bus stop, where I had to wait awhile for a bus. That’s where the weird thing happened.  When I’m traveling alone, I pay close attention to what’s going on around me.  I was standing on the street corner with a few other people (including a lady dressed like a cheetah).  I knew who was around me.  I looked left to see if the bus was coming.  I didn’t hear or see anyone coming up on my right, but when I turned back around, a well-dressed older lady had appeared right next to me.  She didn’t start with hi, hello, nice weather, or small talk of any kind.  She just said something like, “What would it take for people to feel safe and secure in this crazy world?” I was completely taken aback.  She looked like a normal, nice lady, not crazy at all, but who comes up to a stranger at a bus stop and says something like that, especially after appearing out of nowhere?  But I knew the answer, so I said, “Jesus?”  She seemed pleasantly surprised by my answer and asked me if I was a Bible reader.  I said yes.  Then she asked me if I thought Jesus was a king and I said yes.  She quoted from Luke when the angel appeared to Mary and told her that her son would be a king.  She asked me if I considered the new earth to be a government. I said I guess I hadn’t really thought of it that way. She said, “Most people don’t. I think you would find this interesting reading” and she whipped out a brochure and handed it to me.  She said her name was Sally, and I told her my name, and we God blessed each other, and I watched her start to walk away.  I looked down at the brochure she had given me and when I looked back up two seconds later, she was gone.  She was just there, walking down a long street, and there was nowhere she could have gone to disappear so quickly.  I even walked down the street and looked for her, but she was nowhere to be found. The whole thing was surreal.  Then the bus arrived and I got on, but I was so consumed with thinking about that encounter that I almost missed my stop. 
                I went to Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and a couple other stores, didn’t buy anything.  Went to PetSmart to pet the cats.  Sat there and had a long conversation with a foster cat mom. Then I saw a woman holding a tiny furry creature that looked sort of like a dog, but it couldn’t possibly be, because it was smaller than a kitten.  I went up to her and said something intelligent like, “what is that?” and she said, “It’s a teacup Pomeranian. His name is Versace.”  She said he weighed 1.6 pounds and was full grown.  He was wearing a little vest that said “bad hombre” on it, which made me laugh.  On my way back to the bus stop, somebody stopped me and asked me for money.  I didn’t give him any (I actually didn’t have any), but I talked to him for a few minutes, which caused me to miss the bus.  I knew it would be 30 minutes before the next bus came, so I went into a shop called “World Market” or something like that.  It was a neat store, way too expensive to buy anything, but I killed some time in there instead of waiting in the direct sun at the bus stop.  Took the bus back to the lightrail and sat by this poor guy who had twins in a stroller in front of him.  They looked to be between one and two years old and clearly in need of a nap.  They were both unhappy and crying and rejecting all his attempts to quiet them. 
 I was traveling light and didn’t really have anything interesting to offer them, but I did have my stash of granola bars for homeless people, so I asked him if I could give them one.  He said yes and they were distracted enough by the stranger giving them something with crinkly paper on it that they stopped crying. 

I got off the train at a different stop than I usually do, thinking I could easily find my way back to the hotel, but no.  I got pretty badly lost.  But I ended up wandering in a cool part of downtown and saw some interesting buildings, fountains, etc.  I stumbled upon City Hall, which houses the police museum. This is the site of the 1966 trial of Miranda vs. Arizona, which is why police now have to read you your Miranda rights before questioning you.   

Finally found my way back to the hotel.  Mike and I went to dinner at The Copper Blues, which was kind of a neat restaurant downtown.  Saw a crazy guy stomping and flailing and yelling, "Stop following me!" and there was nobody around him. After dinner we came back to the hotel and took a little nap before our next plan: dessert at the revolving restaurant at the top of our hotel.  On certain night, during limited late night hours, they offer a happy hour menu, which is the only time regular people can afford to set foot in there.  It was a cool experience!  

               

No comments: